Fire In SGPGI Kills Three, Brajesh Pathak Orders Probe
Lucknow, December 19 (TNA) Three persons, including an infant, a child and a woman died in a fire broke out in the old operation theater of Sanjay Gandhi Postgraduate Institute of Medical Sciences (SGPGI) on Monday as a ventilator burst. Two people were seriously burnt in the mishap.
At the time of the incident, a woman was undergoing surgery and a girl was undergoing heart surgery. PGI doctors said that the deceased woman was 26-year-old Tayyaba, a resident of Pilibhit. Whereas the baby girl was only 31 days old.
Many people got trapped there due to the fire. The operation theater was also filled with smoke. The police-administration team rescued the people trapped inside through the window. Six fire brigade vehicles brought the fire under control. The accident happened at 12.40 pm in OT-1 of SGPGI. The fire started due to spark in the monitor. The fire spread first to the work station and then to the operation theatre. Within a short time the flames started spreading far and wide. The fire was so strong that it engulfed the surrounding rooms as well.
SGPGI Director Dr RK Dhiman said that the fire in OT-1 was caused by a spark in the monitor. After this, the fire spread in the work station and OT within no time. He said that the fire system of the institute was immediately activated. An attempt was made to control the fire using the hydrant system. All the people present there have been shifted to post-operative ICU.