My mother used to follow this method of making cakes when we did not have an oven at our home. Banana Cake is a very popular tea time cake. It is also a nice way to encourage bananas to those kids who want to escape eating them.
Preparation Time: 10 mins
Cooking Time: 35 – 40 mins or
Baking Time: 30 – 35 mins
Total Time: 45- 50 mins
Difficulty Level: Easy
• 2 Bananas
• 3/4 th cup sugar (White or Brown)
• 1/2 cup oil or ghee or white butter at room temperature
• 1.5 cups of whole wheat flour
• 1 tsp baking powder
• 1/2 tsp baking soda
• 1/4 tsp cinnamon powder
• 1 tsp vinegar
• 1/4th cup milk
• 1/2 cup chocolate chips(optional)
1. Before preparing the cake batter. Put a flat bottom Kadai on a low flame, place a heat resistant pot stand in the center and cover the Kadai with its glass lid. Let it heat for 5 mins
2. In a blender pot, peel and cut the bananas.
3. To this add the sugar, cover the pot with its lid and blend it to a smooth puree.
4. Now pour this into a mixing bowl.
5. To this add the oil or ghee and mix well
6. In a separate bowl sieve, the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon powder.
7. Add this mix to the banana puree.
8. Mix this well following the cut-fold method for 3 mins.
9. To this add vinegar and milk and mix again.
10. Prepare a smooth batter.
11. Now add the chocolate chips and give it a final mix.
12. Before pouring this mixture into the mould, grease the tin or mould with oil and also dust it with just a little flour.
13. Now place it in the pre-heated Kadai and cover the lid.
14. Cook it on a low-medium flame for 35 - 40 mins.
15. Turn off the flame after 40 mins, let the cake cool down completely.
16. After the cake has cooled down, run a knife through the mould/tin to remove the cake from it.
17. Invert the mould on a plate, pat it a little, so that the cake comes out easily.
18. Cut the cake into pieces and serve it with tea.
1. If you don't have a Kadai which has a glass lid, then you may use a pressure cooker(place the stand inside). Just remember not to put the pressure weight on the lid; while closing it.
2. You can even bake this cake in a preheated oven for 30 – 35 mins. Oven to be preheated at 180.
3. The shape of the mould should preferably be round or rectangular.
4. You may serve the cake with of sweetened whipped cream.
5. Always use ripe bananas for the best flavour. Try to choose bananas that have good number of spots.
6. While making the cake in the Kadai divide the time into two parts
For 20 mins cook it on low flame and 20 mins on medium flame.
-- Sapna Chaudhary/Lucknow